My 40th birthday was on Saturday. 40. I'm ok with it...I guess. Whatever, it's a number. I know I'll love my 40's soon enough.
My niece, Audrey, (shown in the photo) was born on my birthday. I feel like that's cause for a special "favorite aunt" bond. Time will tell. She's got quite the mean mug but her smiles are heart melting. I had a great day celebrating both birthdays with almost my entire family in Seattle, WA.
Is it possible to reach a milestone birthday without a little reflection? Not for me!
Today, in honor of my recent 40th birthday, I'm sharing 40 things I've learned along the way...40 things I believe to be true.
- I'd rather have more experiences than more stuff.
- It really is all about the people in your life.
- We're all just doing the best we can in life.
- Everyone wants to be loved. Everyone.
- Motherly guilt is real and it sucks.
- I feel better when I get enough sleep.
- Some people might laugh at me for going to bed at 9:30 or 10pm, but I don't care because I'm too busy feeling rested.
- Good pedicures are the best.
- Things are rarely black and white. It's all grey.
- Other people believe as strongly in their opinions as I do mine.
- It would not be a well rounded world if we all believed the same way.
- Being self employed is the best job ever (for me).
- I can trust that my son will land on his feet, no matter what his journey entails.
- TV will suck my brain out of my skull if I spend too much time watching it.
- Working out is hard work but the aches and pains from a sedentary lifestyle are worse.
- It is what it is, most of the time.
- Life can end prematurely so do what you want now. Don't wait.
- I don't have to like everyone. Some people are just assholes.
- Not everyone will like me and that's ok. (Maybe they think I'm an asshole. Gasp!)
- Being cool is overrated.
- People have to earn my trust but I strive to freely give respect.
- It's not my job to fix anyone.
- A clean home makes me feel good.
- Paying for a clean home is so very worth it.
- Macs are better than PCs. 😉
- An empty nest takes a little getting used to but then it's awesome.
- Sometimes the only thing standing in my way is fear and when I recognize that, I need to push through.
- A smile and a kind word to people I encounter, like the grocery store clerk, can go a long way and are as much for me as they are for the other person.
- The more successful I am, the more generous I can be.
- Lists rule my world and my productivity is better for them.
- Processed foods make me feel like crap and I didn't realize it until I stopped eating them.
- Worrying is absolutely useless.
- I love people but I need downtime or I will get very cranky.
- A good business coach is worth a pretty penny.
- I feel better when I shave my legs in the winter too. 🙂
- Burpees are the devil.
- I can learn something from almost everyone.
- Some friends are life-long friends and some are meant to be friends for a time.
- Water. Water. Water.
- Sometimes a new handbag is the ultimate pick-me-up.
I really don't have any words of wisdom. These 40 tidbits are truths in my world, but you likely have an entirely different list. That's a great thing, right? Thank goodness for all of our differences!
Here's to another year!
Photo credit: Jon Pick