There can be a real awkwardness around asking for testimonials, especially when you feel really good about your work and you email a client to ask for a testimonial and then…crickets. You hear nothing back from them after you ask for a testimonial.
Did you do something wrong?
Did you miss queues about your client’s dissatisfaction while working with them?
Did they decide they don’t love you after all?
Probably not; You just need to remember that people are super busy and distracted. They need your help.
Help Your Clients Help You
Happy customers want to sing your praises but they’re distracted by everything that must take priority. Plus, unless your clients are professional copywriters, testimonials can be hard to write.
Ask a client for a testimonial and you could be waiting a long time, maybe forever. On the other hand, give your clients a few short questions to answer and watch the testimonials roll in.
The right questions to ask depend on your business and the nature of the work. Here’s a list of potential questions, including the exact questions we use to get amazing testimonials from our clients.
- What challenges were you dealing with, or what problem prompted you to seek out help?
- How has that changed since working with us?
- What is the most important thing people should know about working with us?
- What hesitations did you have about signing up to work with me?
- What results have you achieved since we started working together?
- What did you like best about working with me?
- How else have you benefited from our work together?
- Would you recommend me and my services? If so, why and to whom?
Pick 3 questions, create a form to collect answers and boom. You’re all set.
We use Google Forms to collect testimonials but other options include Typeform or even a custom form on your website. Don’t let the specifics of a form hold you back. If you’re not sure how to set up a form, email the questions instead.
Your mission, if you choose to accept it:
Go do this NOW. Whether in a form or email, ask your last client for a testimonial right away.